Guns in the US and RPG characters.

runequester

Swordsman
Since I have lived in the US for quite some time, I thought I'd share a few general pointers of value to games set in the US as regards firearms.

Please note a few things up top:
A: This is not about politics. For the benefit of the forum and to avoid arguments, I am not going to respond to questions that are specifically about the politics or philosophy of guns, why a given law is the way it is or what the law should be. Fair?

B: American laws are a complicated mush. This is JUST for playing a silly game with dice, not actual advice for if you travel to the states. Fair?

With that, here's a few things I did not know when we were teenagers and playing games set in the US (like Werewolf at the time):

1: Firearms can be purchased in a number of ways, with gun stores or private sales being the most common. They are not cheap. A decent handgun can easily cost you 600 dollars or more and rare historical firearms can easily sell in the thousands. Right now, an auction site I checked has a WW1 era Mauser rifle for 3000 dollars.
Ammunition prices can vary: About 50 cents for 9mm handgun rounds is not that unusual.

2: Purchasing through an actual retailer requires background checks to make sure you are not a felon. Private sales often bypass these checks. Criminals either get weapons privately or have one person purchase the weapon and then give it to them. You can of course also steal the gun (since you are a criminal).
If your character needs to acquire firearms but have a criminal record already, they will have to be clandestine.

3: US laws are a confusing mush. Federal laws apply everywhere, while states can have additional laws. For example, in my state you cannot carry a concealed firearm in any location that primarily sells alcohol (for obvious reasons!). If your game is set in a specific state, look up what laws may apply, particularly regarding concealed carry (the legal permit to carry a handgun concealed under your clothes).
You may even find cities with their own rules that are different from the state they are in. For example for a game set in Chicago, you would have to abide by gun laws for the US, Illinois AND Chicago.

4: BROADLY SPEAKING an individual in the US is able to purchase and own firearms. Restrictions often apply to things like: Automatic firearms, silencers, explosive devices. You can obtain these things with particular licenses and permits but they are expensive to obtain and the difficulty varies by state.
Many automatic firearms (such as assault rifles) are sold in "civilian" configurations with semi-auto only. They can often be illegally converted to fully automatic.

Legal immigrants are generally allowed to own guns as well but may have to prove residency for 6 months.

5: Carrying a firearm in public is NOT common, contrary to what you see in movies. In rural states during hunting season, seeing someone with a rifle isn't unusual when going to a gas station or similar. It is not generally illegal to carry a firearm however, but private businesses may prohibit and in most states many locations are forbidden by state law (government and educational buildings are typical).

6: Concealed carry usually requires a permit, but varies by state. In many states it is "will issue" meaning unless there is a legal reason to prohibit a specific person, the permit will be issued if you apply for it.

7: It used to be that major store chains sold some firearms (typically hunting weapons) in their sporting goods section. This is less common these days.

8: There used to be a ban on "large capacity magazines" at the federal level, but this has expired. A few states do ban these. For example in Colorado, you cannot legally purchase or own magazines with a capacity exceeding 15 rounds.

9: For historical periods, things were wild. For example owning machine guns were absolutely legal until 1934 (if I remember correctly). All those gangster movies with Thompsons and BAR's everywhere? You could buy that stuff.

I hope that helps for more realistic campaigns if you are into this stuff.
If you have questions, please ask but bear in mind the stipulation that I will not answer any question that is explaining why something is this way, why this or that way would be better or regarding the politics of it.
I have some general gun-nerd knowledge as well, if you have more general questions about firearms, historical popularities, when particular things show up etc.

PhilArt

Patafysike Doktor
How about offers of a free gun or rifle when purchasing something else? Do they exist? If so, how do they work (legally)?

Are private sales of firearms legal?

How does it work legally and with background checks if person A purchases a firearm and gifts it to person B? Say, as a birthday present. Are there ways to make the gifting legal if it is illegal just to hand it over?

Last edited:

Björn Wärmedal

Björning Wheel
Hur har 3D-skrivare, enkla CNC-fräsar och andra hemmaverktyg påverkat vapentillgängligheten? Vad är egentligen en ”ghost gun” och hur vanliga är såna?

runequester

Swordsman
How about offers of a free gun or rifle when purchasing something else? Do they exist? If so, how do they work (legally)?
This has been done in some places. Under the law, you still have to comply with any normal rules (so if you have a contest where you can win a gun, the gun must still be legal to own and the person winning must be legally allowed to own it).

Are private sales of firearms legal?
Yes they are and typically not regulated.
In some states a private seller is still required to do a background check, but not all. There is no federal law currently forbidding private sales, however if you knowingly sold a weapon to someone not allowed (A felon typically) you could face a fine or prison time.

How does it work legally and with background checks if person A purchases a firearm and gifts it to person B? Say, as a birthday present. Are there ways to make the gifting legal if it is illegal just to hand it over?
A would be responsible for making sure B can legally own the firearm. So if B is not permitted to own weapons at all, you would be committing a felony by giving them a weapon. Assuming B is not prohibited from owning weapons, you can gift them just fine.

This is all assuming you live in the same state. Once you cross state-lines, federal rules apply which (from what I recall) means using a licensed firearms dealer to do the transfer (and they conduct the background check).

runequester

Swordsman
Hur har 3D-skrivare, enkla CNC-fräsar och andra hemmaverktyg påverkat vapentillgängligheten? Vad är egentligen en ”ghost gun” och hur vanliga är såna?
Cheers.

My understanding is that right now 3D printed guns are not very practical, though its only a matter of time. The pressure of a bullet discharging would tend to wreck the components (3D printed material is basically just plastic). So you still need at least some metal components for a printed gun to work correctly.
Its one of those things that a lot of people talk about, but its just not a thing yet.

The term "ghost gun" can also apply to a gun built from a kit. The reason its called a ghost gun is that kit parts may not have a serial number on them, so if you get a ghost gun and murder someone, its hard to trace where it was sold, who had it and who may be the murderer etc.

I may be behind on the legality a little bit, but as far as I know "kit guns" are technically legal under federal law. Basically the law requires any gun to have serial numbers on them (and this has always been tradition by gunmakers anyways) but an unfinished kit is not technically a gun. There are various proposals to regulate these types of weapons.

PhilArt

Patafysike Doktor
Yes they are and typically not regulated.
In some states a private seller is still required to do a background check, but not all. There is no federal law currently forbidding private sales, however if you knowingly sold a weapon to someone not allowed (A felon typically) you could face a fine or prison.
Are private offers available to regular people or is it a niche market for excons and enthusiasts?

When people purchase guns for personal protection, what kind of gun do they typically purchase?

runequester

Swordsman
Are private offers available to regular people or is it a niche market for excons and enthusiasts?
Private purchase is pretty common and is not seen as suspicious in and of itself.
Statistics are usually estimated by researchers, but I've seen estimates of about 25-30% of gun sales being private. Something in that ballpark. So not the standard but not an unusual thing either.
Some private sellers will do background checks. I have seen statistics that its about half and half whether this happens. If a character is up to no good, obviously they'll want to find someone who will sell on the down-low and in secret.

When people purchase guns for personal protection, what kind of gun do they typically purchase?
Handguns overwhelmingly. Something like 80+% of firearms owners own a handgun and self-defense is the most common reason for owning guns.

Nowadays, this is usually a semi-automatic pistol of some kind. Revolvers are not that common any longer. I am not sure if specific models are more or less popular, as that depends a lot of personal whims, advertisement and so on. For gaming purposes, look up any .38, 9mm or .45 caliber weapon and its probably fine. The more macho the shooter, the bigger the caliber usually.
A character (and Im going to keep using that term here, just to make clear that I am not making value judgements on anything) that was paranoid, in trouble with the mafia or something like that might well own 2 or more handguns. For example one for carry and one kept in their bedroom or similar.

You can see people buy like pump-action shotguns for defense as well, but most instructors I believe recommend against that, if home defense is your primary motivation.

Björn Wärmedal

Björning Wheel
We all know that the only viable option for home defence in a RPG setting is a fully automatic .50 calibre motion sensor controlled sentry gun ;) Of course, the more of them the merrier.

Dr_Dängrot

Myrmidon
An ar15 (semi automatic rifle) is very easyily converted into a a legal "pistol" by removing the stock and putting on a armstrap to the gun and swoosh now by American law you have a legal semi-auto pistol.
Is this true ?

Some states allow 3d printed guns so if u have a 3d-printer and the metal parts needed and the know how u can manufacture your own guns .
Is this true ?

If you're a convicted felon you can Still own guns and if you're convicted for a violent crime that just limits the number of guns you may own thus someone convicted for violent assualt or domestic abuse can Still own a gun but are limited to owning just One . Also the same goes if you have a documented history of mental illness
Is this true ?

Last edited:

runequester

Swordsman
An ar15 (semi automatic rifle) is very easyily converted into a a legal "pistol" by removing the stock and putting on a armstrap to the gun and swoosh now by American law you have a legal semi-auto pistol.
Is this true ?
As far as I know, barring some specific state law, nothing illegal about this. Firing a rifle without a stock is going to be pretty awkward though.
There are some state laws about reducing barrel length.

True but impractical.

Some states allow 3d printed guns so if u have a 3d-printer and the metal parts needed and the know how u can manufacture your own guns .
Is this true ?
By and large, you are legally allowed to build your own gun and 3D printing falls under that. There are some exceptions. California I believe requires that you must obtain a serial number for any firearm.

True federally, often true at state level.

If you're a convicted felon you can Still own guns and if you're convicted for a violent crime that just limits the number of guns you may own thus someone convicted for violent assualt or domestic abuse can Still own a gun but are limited to owning just One . Also the same goes if you have a documented history of mental illness
Is this true ?
Felony or domestic violence, you cannot legally own firearms at all under federal law. Even being a credible threat to a partner or child can disqualify you though I don't think that's enforced very often.

Mental illness is supposed to be the case but you have to have been declared "mental defective" by a court which would mean your competency has been in question in the legal system before. Practically, most people with mental issues are never diagnosed and never subject to any sort of legal definition or restriction.

Now, the legal system is big and complicated in a country of 330 million people, so almost anything probably has happened somewhere, somehow.

zo0ok

Rollspelsamatör
I would guess a 9mm pistol... which leads my to my question.

Ordinary americans who buy a 9mm pistol, do they typically get training in weapon handling?

As many swedes I am familiar with handling rifles. I once had the opportunity to try a 9mm pistol. I found it quite creepy. A rifle is very easy to handle safely. A 9mm pistol is a completely different story:
a) you cant easily see if the weapon someone is carrying is ready to fire
b) given the small size, you can easily shoot yourself by mistake
c) given the small size, the weapon can be dropped, slip in your hands, bounce, rotate on a table
d) handing over a 9mm pistol to someone else safely is much harder than with a rifle

The proper 9mm safety procedures that I experienced were quite serious.

Do people who own, and particularly those who carry concealed, typically have aa basic training?
Is that ever a requirement for acquiring a weapon?

Oldtimer

Slava Ukraini!
Detta hände nästan en lumparkompis till mig. Kulan tog i marken bredvid hans fot (vi övade oss i att dra och skjuta som en rörelse...).
Det hände under vapenvård i Hemvärnet i mars 2020 här i Göteborg. En Glock som hade en patron kvar i loppet och ett vådaskott gick av. En hand och ett ben fick hål i sig.

Jag har själv ingen utbildning på pistol (mina vapen i Hemvärnet är Ak4, Ksp58 och Grg48), men det känns som om mycket är tydligare med en Ak4 än med en pistol. För att inte tala om Ksp58 och Grg48. :LOL:

Mekanurg

I'd rather be different than indifferent.

Vimes

Lenny Kravitz
Jag ställer mig till kören här. Mina lumparerfarenheter (med AK 5, ksp 58, pansarskott och pistol 88) är att det var mest obehagligt att hantera pistolen. Jag vill också minnas att våra befäl upplyste oss om att olycksrisken var betydligt högre med pistol.

Minimoni

Homelander
Har personligen skjutit mycket med pistol och tycker inte att 9mm är speciellt skrämmande. Detta tror jag beror på att jag började med luftpistol som sen blev 22mm och först sen blev det 9mm och anda grövre kalibrar. Poängen är att redan vid luftvapen så behandlade alla pistoler som om de alltid var laddade och potentiellt dödliga. Så med den inställningen och erfarenheten så har jag heller inte upplevt det vidare besvärligt att hantera grövre vapen, varken att skjuta med dem eller att hantera dem på ett säkert sätt.

Jag känner en hel hög med amerikaner som äger vapen, massor av vapen med svenska mått mätt. De är alla väldigt noga med säkerhet och behandlar alla sina vapen som laddade och dödliga även när de inte är det. Mina vänner bor främst i Utah, Virginia, Arizona och Pennsylvania. Självklart skiljer sig vapenlagarna mellan dessa stater och även ibland counties och också städer, men det tycks mig som om det inte är speciellt svårt att bygga upp sin egen vapenarsenal i de stater jag nämner. Allt jag säger är rena anekdoter men jag har sett mina vänners vapensamlingar och att skapa en liknande samling i Sverige idag skulle vara omöjligt.

runequester

Swordsman
Training is not typically required, at least where I have lived, though gun ranges will usually have instructors who can teach you and I know some gun stores will encourage you to sign up for a course if you seem like you are new.

Accidental discharges and people injuring themselves or others because they are idiots and don't know what they are doing are not uncommon.
A friend of mine had a room mate. When the guy moved out, he realized there was a bullet hole in one of the walls. Turns out the guy had been messing around with a handgun that my friend didn't know was in the house, accidentally discharged it and made a hole. Someone could very easily have gotten hurt or killed, a 9mm bullet can easily penetrate interior walls, especially in the US where those are usually drywall or wood and not brick.

Where I used to live, someone shot themselves in the foot because they kept trying to show their gun to a girl at a gas station. A round was chambered and the safety wasnt on and in the jostle, the trigger got bullet and the idiot got himself a trip to the hospital.

Guns are tools basically: When you handle a chainsaw, you use it with great care because messing up can get you hurt or killed. A gun can do the same for anyone in line of sight of you. If you watch serious collectors like Forgotten Weapons or C@Rsenal on youtube, you can see how they are always checking if its loaded, making sure the weapon is controlled, being aware if live ammunition could possibly have been loaded etc.