Magic house rules. DoD Expert/91

runequester

Swordsman
Apologies for English.

Any house rules for Drakar och Demoner Expert or 91 to make magic users a bit more capable early on?

Kicked around ideas like spending extra magic points to boost the skill chance, reducing spell experience point costs or even just throwing out that spells are skills and rolling against the magic school SV minus a penalty for effect level.

Thoughts? Ideas?
When we played back in the day, we just accepted that your spell caster should be a thousand years old.

Gurgeh

The Player of Games
Staff member
I used to play Drakar och Demoner Expert a lot, and my house rules were that the spells only cost half the experience points, and that the wizards only got their skill reduced by 1 instead of 2 for each effect level after the first.

That made the wizards at least somewhat competent.

Staffan

Myrmidon
You could take some ideas from Mongoose Publishing's Legend (basically their version of Runequest minus the setting stuff) as a basis.

In Legend, each grimoire is a specific skill, and most grimoires have about three to six spells with a common theme. So an order of warrior mages might have a grimoire with Damage Enhancement, Damage Resistance, and Enhance Strength, while a serpent cult might have Dominate Snakes, Enhance Dexterity, Shapechange Human to Snake, and Wrack (poison). In addition, there's a Manipulate skill that's used to boost spells beyond their basic, very low power. For every 10% (or 2 points of skill in a d20-based BRP) in Manipulate, you can manipulate one aspect (magnitude, duration, range, targets) by one step. So someone with Manipulate 43% would be able to increase duration by 2, magnitude by 1, and range by 1, or put all 4 points of manipulation into magnitude, or the like. Casting a spell costs one magic point, plus one per aspect you manipulate (so casting the damage spell Wrack and boosting its range by 1 and its magnitude by 3 would cost 3 MP).

Something similar could easily be used in Drakar och Demoner Expert/91. The main thing is that grimoires tend to be tied to specific organizations, so learning a grimoire usually requires membership in that organization.

A thing to note is that the assumption of Legend is that there's also Common Magic, which is generally simpler day-to-day stuff, and which is also taught by sorcerous orders as well as all sorts of other organizations. If you want to give it a gander, DrivethruRPG has it for the enormous amount of One Dollar, so check it out.

RasmusL

Champion
Tbh I find magic users to be completely overpowered but very "one trick pony ":y. Perhaps it comes down to system mastery but there are some really crazy spells and I would personally nerf, not boost effectivity there.

Staffan

Myrmidon
RasmusL;n348063 said:
Tbh I find magic users to be completely overpowered but very "one trick pony ":y. Perhaps it comes down to system mastery but there are some really crazy spells and I would personally nerf, not boost effectivity there.
While DoD has a small number of broken things, the magic system as a whole is pretty harsh on players, particularly if you want to be a rounded character and not exploit one of the broken things. For example, if you want a 50% chance to give a target perfect balance, perform some mild telekinesis, speak telepathically with someone, and turn a small person invisible, that requires Mentalism 9 (45 XP) and then skill 10 in four different spells costing 20+40+40+60 = 160 XP, for a total of 205 XP. A typical starting character in their 20s has 220 XP. And that's without considering other skills, like reading/writing (which isn't free in DoD Expert) or, well, anything else.

I'd rather see a system that removes the small number of broken things in DoD's magic system and makes the rest reasonable, than nerfing what is already a mostly rather weak system.

runequester

Swordsman
You guys can respond in Swedish btw if its easier, I can read it, just not really type it :)

There are some broken individual spells but those are easier to kick out (EXPLOSION springs to mind) or adjust.

I used to play Drakar och Demoner Expert a lot, and my house rules were that the spells only cost half the experience points, and that the wizards only got their skill reduced by 1 instead of 2 for each effect level after the first.
That seems like it'd be pretty good.

You could take some ideas from Mongoose Publishing's Legend
I did ponder something like that.
You could even just use the Magic school skill as the roll, I suppose.

Roll against Animism at -1 per intended effect level to cast your spell. Then raise the cost of magic schools compared to the normal professional skill cost in 91.

Part of what I am also looking at is that a lot of the spells are not really THAT powerful.
An E3 BLIXT is 3D6 damage sure, but then, thats 11 points on average. About enough to knock out an orc. And that's rolling at a -4 SV penalty by the rules.

So making it substantially easier to use them wouldn't be a bad idea, especially in the 91 rules when most classes get some pretty solid abilities.

RasmusL

Champion
Staffan;n348065 said:
While DoD has a small number of broken things, the magic system as a whole is pretty harsh on players, particularly if you want to be a rounded character and not exploit one of the broken things. For example, if you want a 50% chance to give a target perfect balance, perform some mild telekinesis, speak telepathically with someone, and turn a small person invisible, that requires Mentalism 9 (45 XP) and then skill 10 in four different spells costing 20+40+40+60 = 160 XP, for a total of 205 XP. A typical starting character in their 20s has 220 XP. And that's without considering other skills, like reading/writing (which isn't free in DoD Expert) or, well, anything else.

I'd rather see a system that removes the small number of broken things in DoD's magic system and makes the rest reasonable, than nerfing what is already a mostly rather weak system.
Det var troligen århundradets underdrift, men jag förstår vad du menar. Vi spelade med alla splat books och Rules as Written och det fanns en hel del helt vilda kombinationer. Jag tror tyvärr att du måste gå igenom samtliga magier, många av dem är konstigt skrivna och/eller är helt obalanserade relativt andra grejer. EXPLOSION är good not great men fanns så otroligt mycket mer trasiga magier.

...och rörande well rounded-karaktärer över lag så finns det inte utrymme för det i 91:an, nischa dig eller dö! Sen funkar systemet kanske bäst när alla bygger medvetet dåliga builds, men (Risings ord?) "det bästa sättet att spela ska också bara det roligaste".

Vi gillade min-maxandet, att bygga bort det ur systemet är en riktig sysifos-syssla :)

Staffan

Myrmidon
RasmusL;n348068 said:
Det var troligen århundradets underdrift, men jag förstår vad du menar. Vi spelade med alla splat books och Rules as Written och det fanns en hel del helt vilda kombinationer. Jag tror tyvärr att du måste gå igenom samtliga magier, många av dem är konstigt skrivna och/eller är helt obalanserade relativt andra grejer. EXPLOSION är good not great men fanns så otroligt mycket mer trasiga magier.
Jag tror att det till stor del kan vara överkompensation.

Jag menar, i Expert så var magi rätt klent. Eller man kanske ska säga att det fanns en hög toppnivå, men att det var en väldigt lång startsträcka innan man kom dit. Detta gjorde folk som gillade magi irriterade, och istället för att ändra på systemets struktur så hittade man på starkare besvärjelser. Detta syntes i viss mån redan i Magiboxen (jämför t ex Skydd med Järnhud), men exploderade i och med Magikerns Handbok till DoD-91.

Rickard

Superhero
runequester;n348057 said:
...or even just throwing out that spells are skills and rolling against the magic school SV minus a penalty for effect level.
Yeah, I would go with that one, and nerf certain spell as you go.

I would probably remove Kvick spells and let the player add that as a modifier. Possibly area effect too.

I did that with my BRP magic system to Matiné. You can read it in Rollpersonshäftet - it follows the T20 scale - where the wizards can do whatever, as long as it follows the theme of their chosen school. The player can modify Power, Duration, Range/Area, and gets more chance fo getting Stamina depending on the power level of the effect of the spell. The skill roll lowers Stamina (which is what the game uses instead of Psykisk kraft).

crilloan

Swordsman
Låt magiskola vara den färdighet som används för att kasta besvärjelser.
Dvs du har Elementarmagi 14, då kan du kasta alla besvärjelser du lärt dig inom den skolan med det FV
Sedan kostar det ett antal erf att lära sig en besvärjelse beroende på skolvärde.

DoDRetro har en lösning åt det hållet, med bara en färdighet för att kasta besvärjelser

C

runequester

Swordsman
crilloan;n348074 said:
Låt magiskola vara den färdighet som används för att kasta besvärjelser.
Dvs du har Elementarmagi 14, då kan du kasta alla besvärjelser du lärt dig inom den skolan med det FV
Sedan kostar det ett antal erf att lära sig en besvärjelse beroende på skolvärde.

DoDRetro har en lösning åt det hållet, med bara en färdighet för att kasta besvärjelser

C
Yeah, I noticed the Retro version had that too. I havent tried that yet but seems like it'd work pretty well.

runequester

Swordsman
Rickard;n348073 said:
Yeah, I would go with that one, and nerf certain spell as you go.

I would probably remove Kvick spells and let the player add that as a modifier. Possibly area effect too.
How would you handle casting time? Back in the day, we always made spells take effect at the end of the turn they are cast (with Kvick casting on your initiative roll like any other action).

I did that with my BRP magic system to Matiné. You can read it in Rollpersonshäftet - it follows the T20 scale - where the wizards can do whatever, as long as it follows the theme of their chosen school. The player can modify Power, Duration, Range/Area, and gets more chance fo getting Stamina depending on the power level of the effect of the spell. The skill roll lowers Stamina (which is what the game uses instead of Psykisk kraft).
Oh, will definitely take a look at that, that sounds very cool.
Always a sucker for more BRP :)

Rickard

Superhero
runequester;n348079 said:
How would you handle casting time? Back in the day, we always made spells take effect at the end of the turn they are cast (with Kvick casting on your initiative roll like any other action).
Never understood why the wizards followed different initiative rules. I really wonder what the thinking was behind that design solution. We forgot about it over time, and let the spell taking effect during the player's turn - except for Kvick ones - those still happened during the start of the turn, unless some had Snabbslående och other special abilities/skills.

runequester

Swordsman
Rickard;n348081 said:
Never understood why the wizards followed different initiative rules. I really wonder what the thinking was behind that design solution. We forgot about it over time, and let the spell taking effect during the player's turn - except for Kvick ones - those still happened during the start of the turn, unless some had Snabbslående och other special abilities/skills.
I'm not sure either to be honest. Even with BRP games, magic usually just happens on your "go".

To be honest, we never quite understood how it was supposed to really work in the 1987 black box either. Its an action to "prepare a spell" and an action to cast it, I think? We took one look at that and just made it a single action to do both.
Having spells take effect at the end of the turn was our middle ground for that.

I figure part of it was to give a chance to interrupt spell casters before they can get off their spell, but they are already pretty hindered so don't think its needed. The guy with the crossbow don't have to worry about all that jazz!

I always got the feeling they were worried about wizards being too powerful, so there's a ton of restrictions compared to AD&D or even Runequest (which I know Blixt was familiar with).

RasmusL

Champion
Staffan;n348072 said:
Jag tror att det till stor del kan vara överkompensation.

Jag menar, i Expert så var magi rätt klent. Eller man kanske ska säga att det fanns en hög toppnivå, men att det var en väldigt lång startsträcka innan man kom dit. Detta gjorde folk som gillade magi irriterade, och istället för att ändra på systemets struktur så hittade man på starkare besvärjelser. Detta syntes i viss mån redan i Magiboxen (jämför t ex Skydd med Järnhud), men exploderade i och med Magikerns Handbok till DoD-91.
Absolut. Och just det är stor del av systemets svaghet, det är så många rörliga delar att det är närmast omöjligt att hålla koll på alla beroenden och kombinationer. En ändring uppströms får enorma konsekvenser nedströms och även ändringarna nedströms samverkar horisontellt. Att ändra ordentligt är kanske inte omöjligt men skulle kräva (vad jag ser iaf) en rejäl revamp av hela flödet från karaktärsskapande och ner till hur individuella magier samverkar. FV=du Kan alla magier med samma SV skulle öppna för en jäklarns massa galna combos som tidigare begränsades av BP/erf

Staffan

Myrmidon
En variant jag vill minnas att vi prövade vid något tillfälle:

1. Besvärjelser är binära - antingen kan man dem eller så kan man dem inte. Jag kommer inte ihåg kostnaden.
2. Du använder magiskolans FV för att lägga alla besvärjelser som hör till den.
3. Återgå till att ha en svårighetsgrad på varje besvärjelse i stället för ett skolvärde. Svårighetsgrad = skolvärde/3 avrundat uppåt.
4. Du måste ha en bred kunskapsbas innan du börjar skaffa dig spetskompetens. Det avspeglar sig i att du måste kunna fler besvärjelser på lägre svårighetsgrad innan du kan lära dig högre – alltså att de formar en pyramid. Du måste ha två besvärjelser på nivå 1 innan du kan lära dig en på nivå 2. Innan du kan lära dig en på nivå 3 behöver du två på nivå 2 vilket i sin tur kräver tre på nivå 1.

Fördelen med det här är att det ger en mer naturlig utveckling. Du får inte folk som tokfokuserar på en enda besvärjelse, utan du får en mer naturlig blandning.

Leon

Leo carcion
Jag skulle också föreslå FV i Magitradition, samt förenklad svårighetsgrad/skolvärde/magnitud. SV är både kostnad i Kraftpoäng och svårighetsgrad på slaget och fungerar som både tröskel och variabel. Så Blixt kanske har SV 3 - vilket innebär att det kostar 3 Kraftpoäng, gör 3T6 i skada och ger -3 på slaget för Elementarmagi. Blixt går isf att lägga på SV 5/5T6/-5. men inte på SV 2/2T6/-2. Vissa besvärjelser är rätt skalbara, andra har specifika effekter på en viss nivå, och ingen större fördel av kastas på högre nivåer.

runequester

Swordsman
RasmusL;n348083 said:
Absolut. Och just det är stor del av systemets svaghet, det är så många rörliga delar att det är närmast omöjligt att hålla koll på alla beroenden och kombinationer. En ändring uppströms får enorma konsekvenser nedströms och även ändringarna nedströms samverkar horisontellt. Att ändra ordentligt är kanske inte omöjligt men skulle kräva (vad jag ser iaf) en rejäl revamp av hela flödet från karaktärsskapande och ner till hur individuella magier samverkar. FV=du Kan alla magier med samma SV skulle öppna för en jäklarns massa galna combos som tidigare begränsades av BP/erf
This is certainly a concern, though I feel tackling that up front rather than delaying it through XP requirements might be a better solution. I could well be wrong though!

Some limits on how many spells you can have "active" at one time might solve most of the stacking problems.

PowerNap

Veteran
Jag skulle göra som Leon föreslår och utgå från FV i Magiskolan och dra av ett värde från chansen att lyckas med kastandet beroende på besvärjelsens svårighetsgrad. Jag tror dock att det blir för mycket att dra av hela skolvärdet. Hälften, kanske? Och det låter dyrt att betala hela svårighetsvärdet i Psy-poäng. Hälften där också, eller bara låta effektgraden avgöra, som i originalreglerna?

Man behöver fortfarande lära sig de individuella besvärjelserna, men det behöver inte vara dyrare att lära sig de som är svårare. En platt engångs kostnad kan fungera eftersom man ändå måste vänta med de svårare tills man byggt upp sitt FV i magiskolan mer. Kanske 10 eller 20 erf?

Angående kvicka besvärjelser och hur lång tid de tar att kasta upprepar jag gärna en variant jag pushade för förra vintern:

PSY avgör initiativordningen för alla i strid, inklusive icke-magiker. Det gör det till mindre av en dump stat och känns rimligt om man tänker på initiativ inte som förmågan att röra sig snabbt, utan förmågan att känna av en situation och driva sig själv att agera drastiskt innan någon annan gör det.

Detta gör att kvicka besvärjelser ofta kommer först i stridsrundan. Vanliga besväjelser går iväg sist i rundan, efter att fienden haft en chans att stoppa kastandet, men man behöver inte längre förbereda dem en hel runda för att kasta dem nästa.