Vad är egentligen poängen med slumpade grundvärden/färdighetsvärden?

Selly

Level 5 Laser Lotus
Själv är jag barnsligt förtjust i hur det funkar i Reign: Där får varje spelare välja fritt om hen vill handla för poäng, slumpa, eller någon kombination. Grejen är nämligen att alla rollpersoner man kan slumpa fram skulle ha kostat exakt lika mycket att bygga för poäng*. Det är en finess med hur tärningsmekaniken fungerar. Det känns som det bästa av två världar, tycker jag, men jag har inte sett något liknande i något annat spel.

* Det finns ett litet undantag, som är att om man slår fram typ Konungens Personlige Skomakare™ eller vad det nu var, så hade den egentligen varit lite för dyr för att köpa om man hade valt att handla för poäng … »But come on, it's cobbler

Svarte Faraonen

Oenofil oikofob
Joseph Manola förklarar här nöjet med slumpade rollpersoner och den inspiration det innebär.
The session ended with the party heading for a nearby magical academy in the hope of selling the wizards some of the creepy magical junk they'd found during the adventure, so the dead PC's player quickly rolled up a replacement character, reasoning that there might be someone at the academy whom the party could recruit to bring them back up to full strength. Rolling 3d6 in order, she got:

Strength 16
Dexterity 13
Constitution 4
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 4
Charisma 7

She considered these stats for a few moments, and then said:

'My new character is called Sophie. She was a student at the magical academy, but she wasn't really clever enough to keep up and kept getting disappointing grades. (Int 10) Thrown into depression by a failed exam, she tried to make herself feel better by pumping iron at the college gymnasium. (Str 16) Unwisely (Wis 4) she devoted herself to extreme workout routines which ended up completely wrecking her health. (Con 4) After trying and failing to justify her powerlifting obsession to her tutors (Cha 7), she was thrown out of the academy, and is now looking for adventure!'