Nekromanti Talk to me about Eon IV (and i apologize)

Eilathen

Veteran
Hi everyone,

I know it's kind of rude to come to a forum and not even speak/write the appropriate language. Unfortunately i am not learned in any of the Scandinavian languages. I hope you can forgive that breach of etiquette?

As the title suggests, i want to know everything about this game. Rules, setting... . I found art for this game online and my interest was immediately piqued. Tell me about this world!

As a side-note - i heard that the new edition has very different mechanics to the previous 3 editions...how so? (i'm a mechanics person...so this is always of interest to me)

Thanks in advance for any and all help and again, i apologize for doing this in englisch.

Mundo

Myrmidon
Hello there and welcome to the forum, Eilathen.
I'm right now heading off to a store to do some shopping but once I get back I'll see about cooking up a post about Eon IV.
Is it safe to assume that you basically know nothing about the world/setting other than some pictures?

Eilathen

Veteran
Hello Mundo,

Thank you for the welcome. And i appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Yes, that assumption is correct. I saw artwork for it and a map (i loove maps, wish it was in a better resolution ;) ) ... i got some comments on another forum but that was mostly about the game using a lot of tables in earlier editions.

Snow

Swashbuckler
In very few words, the world has the same feel as Game of Thrones. Gritty, sometimes dark low fantasy. The new edition focus on an empire where magic is banned. Only the priests of the official church are permitted to use the mystical arts. In other parts of the world magic is much more common. Also, there is more standard fantasy races but more elaborated and thought through.

The rules has lot of focus on details. The latest iteration simplifies and streamlines much but is still very detailed. But it also shifts the game from detail simulation to character driven. Each character have a resource to use for boosting rolls that is replenished by acting out your characts personality.

One of the rules main points is the open ended dice. One dieroll can yield an extremely high result if you roll enough 6s. So a thief with a dagger can kill a knight with armour. The message is, be on your guard, think through your actions and avoid combat if you can.

Mundo

Myrmidon
Eon the roleplaying game!
Worldmap (not the whole world, but the majority of it)

Long story made short: Eon is a roleplaying game that has come in four editions, the first one in 1996, the most recent one in 2014. The first edition(s) were made by Neogames, a roleplaying company that later changed name to Helmgast. Other than four editions of the roleplaying game, Eon has produced dozens of books with additional material, such as "Necromancy", Books for various countries/races (The Elf book was amazingly good), Three books for warriors (Knights, Warfare and Weaponmasters) and books about Sailors and Pirates, etc).

In between these games, Neogames has produced other roleplaying games that has used largerly the same dicesystems, amongst others Neotech (futuristic neopunk) and Viking (viking roleplaying game, duh!).

The earlier editions of these games, from Viking to Neotech to Eon, were all pretty rule and mechanic heavy. Character creation could easily stretch over an hour even if you had a clear idea from the start of what you wanted to do, mainly because the characters were randomly generated. From height and weight to value in base-stats. Not to mention the dreaded background table, where you could roll with EXTREMELY variying results. For instance, the player to your left could roll "Very good physique, +2 to strenght and endurance!". Awesome you think, and roll, and get that you are extremely honorbound and could never imagine to steal or stab someone in the back. Well, there goes my rogue concept down the drain. Then the third player down the line rolls that he has adopted a new pet, like a cat.

(Base stats are Strenght, Endurance, Dexterity, Perception, Psyche, Willpower, Wisdom, Presence).

When character creation was done you have a rule-system that requires half a dozen rolls to determine who hits who just from trying to slash someone with your sword. Critics call it rule-heavy and fans call it realistic or detailed.

Major differences: Earlier editions to Eon IV

Scope: Earlier versions have covered all of the world, more or less. Eon IV focuses on a single country, the far-stretching nation of Jargia, to make it easier for new players to get into the setting and to allow more focus on this particular nation. Nothing prevents veteran players from playing outside of Jargia, it's just that events and descriptions are more Jargia focused.
System: Slimmed and trimmed. The major difference would be that in earlier versions you had a value in a skill/attribute, and you tried to roll below it with a number of D6. Now it is the other way around. You have a number of D6 in skills and in attributes, and you roll those dice to try and beat a set difficulty level.
Character creation: Less random, much more stream-lined and much more control of what your character ends up being.
Holy magic/Arcane magic: In older versions the Holy Magic was downright terrible, now it works more like other magic, except all the spells have been reworked to have more of a cool feel than just be your average "Fireball +2". For example, there is a Holy Spell called "Blacken tongue" which prevents the victim of speaking by turning their tongue black and weak or "Proclamation of Saint Darius" which changes a character trait of a character, for example from "Greedy" to "Kind". Shortly put, the spells are a lot more thematic than in earlier versions.

CHARACTER CREATION IN EON IV

What Eon IV did was to promptly kill of a lot of the heavy rules and the heavy randomness that was used in earlier character creation. There are still the tables that a lot of people loved to roll in (including me), but they are a lot less random and none of them are ever just plain out bad. They always give you a bonus to -something-. They are also split up into categories where you more or less get to chose which you want to roll from (examples are "Travels and adventures" or "Intrigue and Ill-deed").

Instead of having some 60-ish avaliable jobs to choose from as you did in Eon III, you have seven as follows: Labourer, Warrior, Leader, Entertainer, Shadow, Scholar and Mystic. Along with these you have seven different enviorements to chose from (where you spent the majority of your time before now) Sea, Court, City, Criminal underworld, Countryside, Wilderness, University. This allows you to create your own combinations, a Warrior from Wilderness could be a barbarian, while a Warrior from Court would be knight and a Warrior from a University is a knights templar.

Combine this with a race (more on these below) and you get a set amount points to spend on skills and x amount of rolls on various event-tables. For instance, the wilderness table gives you rolls on Travels and Adventures while University gives you on "Mysteries and Knowledge".

Races
You have the pretty standard races, like Dwarves and Elves, their own approaches in Eon naturally. There is also a handful of human races from various cultures (pseudo-Phonecia, Pseudo-Romans, pseudo-Ottomans, etc). There is also Tiraks, which I would call half-orcs more than orcs, seeing how they are more or less accepted in human society and aren't inheritly evil as they are in Lord of the Rings, for instance. Every race comes with its own unique bonuses (and in some cases flaws).

Rolling and skills
After rolling your events you set out points which have been given to you from these, your race choice, your job choice and your enviorement choice. Spending the points gives you dices in various skills, and these dices are what you roll in skill challenges. For instance, a storyteller demands that you roll 12 or higher to stay on your horse in this wild horse-chase. You have 4D6 in riding and roll 14. Success! You stay on your horse!

The system uses something called Exploding Dice or Infinity Dice, which means that if you ever roll a 6 on a dice-roll, you instantly reroll the dice and add one more dice. That means that in theory, if you are really lucky, you can perform a feat which you normally wouldn't be able to (you have two dices in riding and I demand that you roll 14 succed).

Now I'm tired of writing, so here's a picture of Saint Udar being crucifed next to The Holy Blue Lion.

Phelan

Hero
In addition to what Mundo writes:
  • Eon is NOT level-based, in general the concepts are based in BRP systems with the big changes being the exploding dice, and from Eon IV that your attributes and skills are measured in dice and you roll against a difficulty number where it was reverse before.
  • Initiative is crucial to combat, only the combatant with initiative (attacker) can make an attack in a round, the defender just rolls to parry (but both sides can make different tactical choices that affect both damage and odds for initiative shifting in the round after. I think this is a rather unusual feature and takes some getting used to, but it actually works out nicely.
  • There is not a set number of hit points, you get Exhaustion points which are accumulated from heavy armor, hits, bruises, bleeding and so on all simplified to one value. When Exhaustion is too high and you fail a check you´re knocked out. Big hits will give you a critical, and one effect from a critical may be that you need to make a Death check. So, in theory you can be knocked out or even killed by a minor damage but also stay on your feet even after a really good beating. Compared to earlier versions, dying from minor injuries is not as likely in Eon IV.
  • As for the setting, it is a grey world but plenty of people in it are convinced that their side is the side of good, so you can quite easily have classical campaigns but it also allows you to swap perspective from one campaign to the next depending on which country/culture you have as the "we".

Eilathen

Veteran
Thanks everyone! Sounds like a game that i could like. Any chance that this will go the way of Symbaroum and gets an english translation (or a german one)?
Is there more map material out there that i can look at (total map addict here!)? And artwork?

The systems sounds similar to Shadowrun but with roll and add instead of dice counting. So i guess a hybrid between AEG's roll and keep (used in L5R and 7th Sea) and Shadowrun (or if you want to, the whole White Wolf Onyx Path stuff...but they use d10). I like dicepools.

If you have the time (and feel like it) tell me more about the setting and the races. For example, what was so cool about the elf book?

Thanks again!

Mundo

Myrmidon
Sadly, I doubt it will ever get translated to Swedish (although I play with an English-speaking group myself, so I spent some good time translating random stuff to English).

Will see if there is going to be more posted later, a bit tired after going swimming at the moment!

LordTengel

Swordsman
Well, I can write up the basics about the elves, seeing as I like them quite a bit. CAUTION: Wall of text.

The most basic thing to remember is that the long life-spans of the elves is (at least widely assumed to be) the result of a curse. Legend in Mundana (the world where Eon takes place) claim that the dwarves once cursed the elves by the use of extremely potent magic in the aftermath of a great war between the two races in the distant past. While this lengthened their lives to the point of making them essentially immortal, it also made it so that elves get more and more withdrawn from the world around them as they age - somewhat like a terrible case of depression, where they can ultimately not be made to care about events, or even respond to words and actions against them. This is refered to as "turning inwards" and is the dreaded but seemingly inevitable fate of any elf that lives long enough. It is also the reason that elves are called "The People of the Curse".

Elves in Mundana are divided into six distinct tribes, that have become so distinct as to be easily recognized at sight. They are as follows, with the three first forming the so-called Sanari Alliance, a culture centered around the great Sunari Forest which they are striving to get the surrounding kingdoms to recognize as a country of its own.

Sanari - leaders of the Sanari Alliance, they are often powerful sorcerors and shrewd planners, to the point of being known as the Tribe of Conspiracies. They are not numerous, but their magic and high intelligence is rightly feared.

Thism - this tribe is often styled as the warriors of the Sanari Alliance, though their large numbers make them fulfill many different roles in society. They are proud, often fierce warriors, and somewhat prone to racism directed at other species (and sometimes other elven tribes).

Kiriya - known as the Tribe of Happiness, kiriya are generally (though beware of Eon's penchant for shades of grey!) joyous and friendly, skilled artisans and entertainers that strive to find and spread joy in everything they do. The most famous musicians among the elves are almost invariably kiriya.

Léaram - this tribe is largely isolated from other tribes, as they live in the east where they have a country of their own - Alarinn. That they have established their own realm, accepted by other cultures, has earned them the envy of the Sanari alliance, and past differences has made them enemies of the Thism tribe. (Léaram are often refered to as "scotish samurai-elves" by players of Eon, which says quite a bit about their culture.)

Henéa - the Henéa are perhaps the most culturally removed from other elves, and are considered quite primitive. They live in small packs scattered around the world and are quite feral, often foresaking such things as wearing clothes and interacting with other species. Due to the entire tribe having been kept as slaves by the dwarves for a century after one of the great wars, they tend to hate both dwarves and thism-elves (the later having failed to aid them during the war, letting them slip into slavery).

Pyar - having adapted to life in human countries, tribe Pyar spend their long lives in the realms of men and are almost not considered elves by many human (and elven) cultures. Some of them pledge allegiance to the Sanari Alliance, but the affairs of their human kings and rulers tend to matter more to them. They are more likely than other tribes to interbreed with humans, though the offspring of such a union is still either human or elf (simply depending of if s/he inherits the Curse).

I hope that was, at least, somewhat helpful. Please tell me if you would like me to elaborate on something, and I apologize for the numerous spelling mistakes I've no doubt made.

Genesis

Ni dés ni maître
If you know English and German, learning enough Swedish to be able to read Eon really isn't that hard.

Mundo

Myrmidon
LordTengel;n114419 said:
CAUTION: Wall of text.
Additionally, elves rarely reproduce (it becomes harder and harder with each child they have). they are all more or less bisexual, they get life-partners rather than married and these can change over time, young elves are often handed away from their parents to a mentor who takes them in as a third parent and teaches them in order to prepare them for their life.

In the Sanari alliance, the average "commoner" is a Kiriya.

Also, to quote from my own roleplaying sessions as a thism... "Gyckla Kiriya, gyckla!"
(Basically a command, saying "Jest Kiriya, jest!")

Ymir

Liten kantbaron
The elf book is great because not only does it portray the elves as the fascinating beings LordTengel's post described, but it also gives them an immersive and believable culture, full of interesting but realistic-feeling rituals, beliefs and traditions, awesome and inspiring mysteries and backstories, and even a comprehensively constructed elven laguage that was such a great work that the author was interviewed in radio about it. But this really says a lot about the greatness of Eon in general: Eon is a fantasy game with a strong component of culture gaming, which means that the cultures in the setting are very well-described, fully realized and believable. Great pains are usually taken to make them -not- be a half-assed clone of some real world historical culture, and instead be a fascinating mix of elements from many different sources. These cultures then interact with each other in a -realistic- way, meaning, innovations and ideas by one culture affects the other in the world of Eon. This means that there are no pseudo-romans right next to some pseudo-chinese; instead we have a culture that's a vague mix of Byzantium and the Holy Roman Empire facing off against their archrival, a vaguely middle eastern empire that's a mix between Sassanid Persia, ancient China, and the Ottoman empire, and between them is a foreboding desert full of buffer cultures that contain elements of both these two empires, as well as ruins and remnants of their ancient struggles. This is how the world of Eon works, and that is what makes it such an awesome and worthwile fantasy setting, despite it's generic outward appearance. From my perspective, being one of the writers of Eon, I feel it's a very intellectual fantasy, because we take such a thorough approach to world building in the writing of Eon's setting. For example, when determining the population numbers in Eon's setting, I actually researched real medieval demography - and then I considered the factors that might make Eon's setting deviate from that. When the rules for sailing was written, we didn't just handwave technical details away; the author researched how real sailing ships work and were used, and then carefully considered how to apply that in the fantastical setting of Eon. When a culture in Eon is written, we consider the geographical location of that culture, and how that will have affected its society and people and their conditions.

But the greatest element of Eon by far is the orcs, who are rather more similar to the hobgoblins of D&D. This people are called the Tiraks in Eon, and the tiraks are amazing because they're not evil, they're not patriarchal, and they're not primitive. Instead, they're a dour tribal society with a strong, dynamic, martiarchal culture, and warlike instincts that are not simply destructive, but have also inspired great advances in seafaring and trade - imagine D&D hobgoblins crossed with Vikings and Maori. They're such a different and captivating take on orcs that they're easily the best orcs that I've ever seen, and they have such an interesting role to play in the setting of Eon, because to one country, theyre' merchants and colonizers, much like the Vikings were n Eastern Europe, but from the perspective of another, they're a vile league of savage pirates that are perceived as a constant threath.

The dragons of Eon are also interesting. The come in two kinds, Mortuach and Lumian, and are actually inspired by the Shadows and the Vorlons of the old scifi show Babylon 5. Mortuach are an embodiment of the primal forces of chaos from a dreamtime when the world was young, and they strive to enlighten the younger races through chaos, destruction and violence. Lumian, conversely, are embodiments of order, and they strive to inspire and control the younger races through much less direct means. But - again, this is Eon, in where good and evil are always subjective, so Mortuach are -not- necessarily more evil than Lumian, because chaos is not in any way inherently evil in Eon, and order is in no way inherently good.

Eilathen

Veteran
Wow, even more stuff...thanks to all of you.
So we have a writer of Eon here? Well awesome! Any chance for an english or german translation of your game? It seems other scandinavian publishers have successfully used Indiegogo or Kickstarter to gauge interest *hint hint* :wink:

Anyway, if you guys/gals feel like telling me more about Eon, please go on, i appreciate it. I'm a big setting freak so everything about the world is of interest to me. If you want to talk game mechanics, that's awesome as well because, as i said, i'm also a mechanics person ^^

Any chance for a worldmap (all of it)? Or a better resolution of the map linked to above? I want to pour over the details :cool:

Thanks again!

Ymir

Liten kantbaron
Eilathen;n114544 said:
Wow, even more stuff...thanks to all of you.
So we have a writer of Eon here? Well awesome! Any chance for an english or german translation of your game? It seems other scandinavian publishers have successfully used Indiegogo or Kickstarter to gauge interest *hint hint* :wink:
Well we try to frequent the forum of the game we write ^_^

I feel the sheer size and scope of Eon is a hindrance to translation. It's not a beast like D&D or Vampire - the Masquerade, but it's still a decades old game with tons of books, and probably, by far, the biggest fictional world ever created in swedish. Excuse the crappy picture, but this is almost all of the stuff published for Eon, just to give an idea of the size. Then there's also the problem that the international (english) RPG market is so oversaturated with fantasy games already, and Eon, at face value, doesn't have any particular thing that makes it stand out. Or does it? What made you drawn to it, Eilathen?

Kraetyz

Omöjlig att ha att göra med
I <3 This thread. Also, I'd be willing to volunteer as a translator for Eon IV (as would many others, I imagine), but I figure that Helmgast doesn't have the budget to support printing it anyway. But, who knows. That crowdfunder money ain't gone yet, is it? ;)

Mundo

Myrmidon
I'd offer to help translate it too. I even translated bits and pieces already.

No reason to translate -all- the books, but the Eon IV core rule-book shouldn't be too much of a hazzle. No need to print it either. Sell it as a PDF, see how it goes (or print on demand).

It went fairly well for Mutant: Year zero, did it not?

Lupus Maximus

Tekniker
Crowdfunder for translation (or professional proofreading of "hobby translations") and a printed run, then PoD on the rest might be a way to go.

Fahnen

Swordsman
Eilathen;n114544 said:
So we have a writer of Eon here?
Actually there is more than one that hangs around this forum. I think you actually can find writers, representatives and etc from almost all major swedish rpgs here at rollspel.nu, even those who have their own forums. This means that you actually might get your question about a certain rule answered by the very person who wrote it. :)

Anyway about the size of Eon: There is almost 30 modules about world and it's inhabitants and 7 adventures (including a campaign). These books are about 50-150 pages each (I think most of them is around 80 pages). There is over 40 articles (adventures, intresting people and points of intrest) published mostly in a swedish magazine called Fenix. Since I don't have all the books and magazines at my place at the moment I cant give you the exact number of pages but I think that it's safe to say that there is more than 3500 printed pages of Eon. (Somewhere there is a post that actually list everything that's ever been published and that list is not short :))

Eilathen

Veteran
Thanks for the map links, Kaigon. Very nice!

@Ymir - Well, the map ;) and the artwork i saw. And the fact that i am a bit tired of the good old US and/or german RPG. I don't want to imply that all of those rpgs are the same or that there is no good stuff around, because there certainly is (at least in US and UK, i am a bit disappointed by the german rpg market, to be honest)...but...it is all very similar in style and what it wants to do. I have seen some really interesting french rpgs and i really liked what i saw from Symbaroum (the art is spectacular! The mechanics are...well...ok, but nothing i am enthusiastic about).
So with that said, i'd really like to see more rpgs from all over the world...not only from scandinavia...but also from scandinavia ;) And Eon IV is the one that i set my eyes on first...and what you friendly folks wrote for me in this thread sounds really like it would be a game for me. I like in depth settings...i like cultures that are not just stand-in french and english guys but interesting new stuff. And Eon seems to provide this.
Now i admit that i don't know much about any other scandinavian rpgs (save for Symbaroum, that is) and it is perfectly possible that there are some that would interest me as well. But Eon sounds like a game i'd like. So here i am :wink:

But you are not wrong...the english market is very full of fantasy stuff...BUT...i guess you could check if there is interest with a Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign for a translation for the latest version of the corebook. If it is a superb success, then i'd worry about other books in the line...if it does not make it to the set goal, you haven't lost a lot of money (the one big advantage of those crowdfunding things).