Nekromanti Sexism och den Minoiska kulturen i rollspel.

Krille

Super Moderator
Pete Nash said:
Forgive me for asking, but what does "PK klädstil" translate to in English?
"PC (politically correct) fashion".

Pete Nash said:
I'll be working on a Mycenaean Greece supplement later in the year, which will touch upon Minoan culture, so I'm interested in what level of puritanism exists in Swedish RPG circles. Although it will little impact my actual writing (I like historical accuracy) it will have an effect on the art commissioned for the book.
I think that Swedish gamers take a certain amount of pride of not being puritans. However, there's a bit anti-sexism about, and it's growing.

For instance, despite not having panty shots or naked boobs, the schoolgirl uniform fetischism in Suckerpunch made more commotion than the naked dong of Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen.

Eksem

Champion
"Politically correct fashion" or "politically correct clothing styles".

Ugh, this was hard to describe in a non-native language, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Sweden is not at all puritanical, but in general relatively mindful of sexualisation and objectification of the female body. In general you would not see ads for hardware tools with barely clothed women, but naked bodies are not a problem for most people.

This is of course a gross simplification.

anth

Vetefan
Pete Nash said:
I'll be working on a Mycenaean Greece supplement later in the year, which will touch upon Minoan culture, so I'm interested in what level of puritanism exists in Swedish RPG circles. Although it will little impact my actual writing (I like historical accuracy) it will have an effect on the art commissioned for the book.
It's not that we are puritan in sweden, we are for equal rights.

As long as the females in RPGs have the same rights as males almost everything goes. :gremsmile:

Arfert

Facit
anth said:
Pete Nash said:
It's not that we are puritan in sweden, we are for equal rights.

As long as the females in RPGs have the same rights as males almost everything goes. :gremsmile:
...well, as long you don't have any chainmail bikinis and so on you are pretty safe from criticism. And you can make interesting female characters.

Ymir

Liten kantbaron
Adding to what others have said, it might be interesting to point out that Eon, possible the biggest and most mainstream swedish RPG, have several pictures of more or less naked people throughout its product line (though no full frontal male nudity IIRC, and a picture of an elf woman giving birth for some reason never saw print), and a plethora of references to sexual situations of all kinds, including some rather extreme scenarios like the PC's being misslor (a kind of kawaii halflings), encountering a depraved nobleman who has a fetish for misslor who'll try to drug them and rape them. There's also one picture of a naked minor being tortured. And again; this is one of Sweden's major mainstream RPG's.

Ymir

Liten kantbaron
well, truth be told, I think the same guys responsible for most of the fucked up shit in Eon has lots of connections to less mainstream fucked up shit like Noir, though Kult is also notable for being very early and very fucked up for a product of it's time.

That being said, then Sweden also has(completely serious) games like Gang Rape that makes even many (most?) swedes furious and/or uncomfortable.

Mundo

Myrmidon
Ymir said:
(though no full frontal male nudity IIRC, and a picture of an elf woman giving birth for some reason never saw print), and a plethora of references to sexual situations of a
The pictures of nude Misslas exist in the missle book where they explain their bodytype/form and there is a picture of an elven woman giving birth in the elf book.

There are also some pretty damn stupid sexist pictures in the Eon books but they are thankfully few and rare in between. Worst case in my opinion though isn't the sexist pictures, the worst case is the total Mary Sue character that is Kiyona.

So to add to what has been said already, do what you feel is the coolest just don't forget that being a woman is not a character trait.

Radioaktiv

Hero
Forgive me for asking, but what does "PK klädstil" translate to in English?

Well I don't whink that we are puritan in any such way that we wouldn't be able to handle nudity in games. That's not the point. I guess it's like what Eksem before me has already written, we are generally quite aware of the sexualisation and objectification of the female body.

I mean, you can make everyone nude in the entire game without it being the least sexualized if you do it right. If you want to make it historically accurate and that includes not giving everyone the same amount of rights, (say you are playing in Athens during the times of Aristotole for example), not everyone is a free man, the women for certain are not equal to men in the eyes of the law, there are plenty not born in Athens and who cannot vote, but you can still build that setting and not be stupid about it.

Attitude's the word.

Ymir

Liten kantbaron
There are also some pretty damn stupid sexist pictures in the Eon books but they are thankfully few and rare in between.
But compare Eon I and Eon III, in this regard; those pictures have been gradually disappearing more and more (though there's still a tendency for female NPC's to be described much more in terms of their looks than male NPCs are). Not that gender analysis of Eon belongs to this debate, though.

Pete Nash

Veteran
Thanks for the answers everyone. I am now reassured that I should have the book illustrated in a manner faithful to the period. Fortunately I have a particular artist in mind for such historically accurate work.

w176

Förlorad dotter
Sexigt är bra, så länge man har sexighet för fler än vad hetrosexuella vita män. Eller vad hetro sexuella nän förväntas gilla.

Sexy for the ladies

Sexighet är inget problem, så länge det inte blir en obalans mellan de valmöjligheter för vad som erbjuds män och vad som erbjuds kvinnor. Så att kvinnor bara får välja mellan att vara sexiga, och män får välja mellan en massa andra uttrycksformer.

Men wear armour, Women wear sexy time lingerie

Mundo

Myrmidon
w176 said:
Sexigt är bra, så länge man har sexighet för fler än vad hetrosexuella vita män. Eller vad hetro sexuella nän förväntas gilla.

Sexy for the ladies

Sexighet är inget problem, så länge det inte blir en obalans mellan de valmöjligheter för vad som erbjuds män och vad som erbjuds kvinnor. Så att kvinnor bara får välja mellan att vara sexiga, och män får välja mellan en massa andra uttrycksformer.

Men wear armour, Women wear sexy time lingerie
Buuu! Inga bilder!

Edit: Såg andra posten nu