Retro-swedish gaming. I am going to run another DoD game in the spring. Help decide.

runequester

Swordsman
Okay folks, as always, you are welcome to reply in Swedish or English as you prefer. I can read both.

In the spring, once we are done playing some Call of Cthulhu, I am gearing up to do another fantasy campaign and I want to run Drakar och Demoner. The Americans I play with are familiar from some short games I've run before and they are old hands at BRP.

The concept will be inspired slightly by the Valdemar series of novels as well as just trying some new things: It will take place in an original setting (but odds are I will borrow from Eon and Ereb Altor to get a bit of Swede-fantasy feel :) ) with the characters being hand-picked agents traveling the world to right wrongs and investigate threats against the kingdom. Of course a very cosmopolitan look with ducks, karkion and all that good stuff.
Oh, and they will each have an animal companion that they will get to roleplay at times (since BRP games always have lots of animal profiles and we never find a reason to use them).

With me so far? I have some things I want help with:

* I want to use either Expert or the 1991 rules. Both have things in their favor (Expert feels more "fantasy-realistic" while 91 has a bit more fancy player bits).
If you are familiar with both, help steer me in either direction.

* While i wont use any full published scenarios, what are some of your favorite encounters, scenes, locations or sub-scenarios from the DoD historical list of adventure scenarios? Anything that can be pulled out on its own. Or scenarios that are generic enough that they could be fitted anywhere and are more than just "find the treasure".

(Please note that I am familiar with both rules systems and that I am quite set on running one of them. I am not looking for suggestions on other games or versions to run, Swedish or otherwise. Yes, I'm probably familiar with your favorite game. yes, I know about HT and Kopparhavet)

Mange tak.

wilper

Gubevars en rätt produktiv människa.
Jag har spelat med båda regelversionerna och hade valt Expert. Finare bilder i boken och behagligare regler.

Med det sagt, 91an har sina fulare bilder till trots en faktor som kanske kan få vågskålen att tippa över: point-buy när man gör rollpersoner.

Själv gillar jag det inte eftersom det så fort leder ner spelarna i ett mörkt hål där de försöker göra en optimal build till sin gubbe, medan Expert befriar dem. Du känner dina spelare bäst.

Last edited:

Leon

Leo carcion
Jag föredrar själv Expert, men det går inte att komma runt att det finns en hel del konstigheter där (viktbokstäver för rustningar, judo och karate som separata färdigheter) som slipas av i DoD 91. Å andra sidan inför Dod91 massa nya förmågor som blir lite bökigt.

Vad gäller äventyr finns ju flera klassiker med sandlådeupplägg som borde funka bra - döda skogen, marsklandet, svavelvinter

Gurgeh

The Player of Games
Staff member
Jag ogillade verkligen 91:ans system för att skapa rollpersoner. Det kändes totalt obalanserat på alla möjliga sätt, och i mitt huvud fungerade det inte alls med det underliggande systemet med olika raser med olika grundegenskaper.

Men det kan också vara gammal vana. Jag har spelat oändligt mycket med EDD-reglerna och ingenting med DoD-91.

Last edited:

Bifur

Veteran
Jag hade också gått på Expert. 91an är tyvärr ett träsk av obalanserade mekaniker och förmågor, i alla fall om man inkluderar handböckerna som bara gynnar den som vill power-gamea (och missgynnar alla andra inklusive SL). Ett stort problem är att det inte finns några äventyr skrivna till 91ans regelverk, även de få som kom ut efteråt är i praktiken Expert-äventyr sett till regelanvändning, så att lyfta in 91ans kvasi-superhjältar till RP i en Expert-miljö (som jag var oerfaren nog att göra i mitt försök att köra Konfluxen vid min omstart 2007) bryter sönder spelet helt.

Anchorman

Swashbuckler
Hade tagit expert jag med.

Vet att du inte frågade om det, men känns ändå läge att tipsa om Kopparhavets hjältar ifall du vill spela med ankor och karikoner, enligt mig en bättre drakar och demoner än faktiska drakar och demoner :).

runequester

Swordsman
Yeah, I own Kopparhavet but we ran an almost-year-long campaign of HT last year so I want to do something a bit more classic this time around :) Appreciate the thought though.

Seems like fairly unanimous preference for Expert. 91 does have some simplifications that I could always bring in, but I am inclined to agree that Expert is the more solid rules set. I do also have more experience with it over 91, so that's a plus as well.