Hur funkar det i amerikat?

terje

xenomorf mystiker
Jag skriver på en modern ockult mysterie-kampanj som jag hoppas få spelleda när det är möjligt att ses irl igen. Men jag har stött på något jag blir lite osäker på och som jag hoppas någon forumit har mer koll på än jag.

Rollpersonerna har under tre år varit besatta av väsen som använt dem som verktyg i en konflikt mellan utom-världsliga icke-mänskliga makter. Alldeles innan kampanjens början konfronteras de av en agent för motståndarsidan som fördriver varelsernas inflytande över rollpersonerna - de faller till marken i koma. Jag skulle vilja anta att rp då förs till sjukhus där de kan vakna upp ur koma och kanske bli utfrågade av en polis. Men jag tänker mig att rp inte har några id-handlingar på sig och inte har någon sjukförsäkring (väsendena som besatt rp har inte brytt sig om att hålla sig med sådant), så vad skulle egentligen hända då? Tas de till sjukhus och får en räkning i handen eller skyfflas de in på ett härbärge?

Den enkla lösningen vore väl att förlägga det hela till Sverige där jag har en tydligare uppfattning om hur saker och ting funkar, men just nu är jag mer sugen på att förlägga handlingen mitt i det sönderfallande imperiet.

Last edited:

Genesis

Ni dés ni maître
Rätt säker på att det är olagligt att vägra behandla personer som söker akutvård i USA.

EDIT:

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is an act of the United States Congress, passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospital Emergency Departments that accept payments from Medicare to provide an appropriate medical screening examination (MSE) to anyone seeking treatment for a medical condition, regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay. Participating hospitals may not transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment except with the informed consent or stabilization of the patient or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.

zo0ok

Rollspelsamatör
De får en skuld att betala. Precis som människor i Sverige som behöver akutsjukvård och inte ingår i systemet. Ex.vis turister utan egen sjukförsäkring eller papperslösa personer.

runequester

Swordsman
I do yeah. I also have a mother-in-law who was an emergency room nurse for all her adult life. With the caveat that the politics of the situation is not something we're going to discuss, if you are injured you can:

Go to an Urgent Care or go to an Emergency Room. (ER).
Urgent Care may or may not be attached to a hospital and handles minor injuries, sickness etc. that happen urgently. As an example, 2 years ago I fell ill in the middle of the night and that's where we went. At the time, I didn't have insurance coverage and I was treated anyways (turned out to be dehydration). We received a bill later on for the services.

ER will treat you for severe injuries. If you get shot, break something etc. you end up in the ER. Cases are evaluated based on severity (if you are dying, you get rushed in).
Legally you cannot be turned down for care regardless of insurance. That being said, the ER can turn you away if it's not actually an emergency. (f.x. a non-threatening illness, general wellness check etc. they would tell you to make a doctors appointment instead).

So if your character or creature shows up with a serious injury, they would be treated and kept until they are not in a life-threatening situation before being discharged. Insurance or not does not matter.
Typically the actual bill is mailed to you afterwards.

You will be asked for documentation (social security number and ID). I have no idea what happens if you lack this documentation, though I know undocumented immigrants still receive treatment.

I hope that helps!