Expected campaign length?

runequester

Swordsman
So I ran a weekly game for my American (and one Egyptian) friends for a bit over half a year and we definitely noticed that skills were starting to be more or less maxed out by the end.
Since you get a chance for improvement as long as you attempt the skill, plus multiple bonus checks, you advance pretty quickly.

What is the expected length of a campaign or what is your experiences with this?

Mogger

Hipsteranka
So I ran a weekly game for my American (and one Egyptian) friends for a bit over half a year and we definitely noticed that skills were starting to be more or less maxed out by the end.
Since you get a chance for improvement as long as you attempt the skill, plus multiple bonus checks, you advance pretty quickly.

What is the expected length of a campaign or what is your experiences with this?
Tanken är att when your Skills capped out you should go for Förmågor instead. I really suggest you get Hjältarnas Väg. Lots of new Förmågor in it.

Mogger

Hipsteranka
With the "Pendragon roll" (i.e roll as high as possible) it doesnt really matter if you reach 100%, since failure always is possible. But youve played this more than I have. We're some 15-20 session in.

runequester

Swordsman
We did use Hjältarnas Väg and enjoyed it a lot. We did run into a bit of trouble because we hadn't really planned in advance, which meant some of the players were struggling to get the specific skills for the things they wanted. With foreknowledge, it'd have been fine.

The "Relationer" addition was an absolute blast for our group.

runequester

Swordsman
After chatting to some of the group last night, next time we play, we'll probably be dropping the "bonus" experience checks. I do like that they are basically a checklist of how to play an RPG session, but I think we'd like advancement to be slightly slower.

For a shorter campaign, the current system is probably spot on though.

edit: For our tastes. Obviously everyones opinions will differ :)

Last edited:

Anchorman

Swashbuckler
I ran a campaign with about 60 sessions, and yes, player skills does go up by a lot toward the end. Especially true that some of my players became quite good at some skills they were useless at at the start.

I only gave out the checks when they accomplished something special, so no extra at the end of every session.
But yes förmågor is crucial, that is what makes things more fun :)

If I run another campaign though, I will lower the requirement for all of them, some of them are useless by the time you can get them.

runequester

Swordsman
I ran a campaign with about 60 sessions, and yes, player skills does go up by a lot toward the end. Especially true that some of my players became quite good at some skills they were useless at at the start.

I only gave out the checks when they accomplished something special, so no extra at the end of every session.
But yes förmågor is crucial, that is what makes things more fun :)

If I run another campaign though, I will lower the requirement for all of them, some of them are useless by the time you can get them.
We did chat about reducing a lot of the requirements to the 60 or 70% range.