NYHET Degenesis läggs ned

entomophobiac

Low Prep High Play
Saxar från spelets Discord:

THE END OF THE LINE

A PREMATURE END
Unfortunately, due to a consistent and severe drop in sales and donations over the past months, we’ve been forced to make the call to end the Roadmap experiment prematurely. As of today, we are canceling all development of the DEGENESIS IP and bringing the RPG line to its end.

F2P
The “Free To Play” experiment hasn’t worked out. While we have had a steady influx of new sign-ups, players, and downloads on our website, our DEGENESIS sales have been in freefall throughout 2021. Despite nearly 20k users registered to www.degenesis.com our sales numbers have remained in the hundreds and below, with Exalters barely selling 80 copies since its release several weeks ago. It’s safe to say that this publication model has become unsustainable for us. To put things into perspective, the Rebirth Edition is leading our download charts with 18,000 downloads, yet we’ve sold less than 60 copies of the book throughout 2021.

ROADMAP
The Roadmap was envisioned to invigorate the gameline and keep the community involved and active throughout our development cycle, yet we’ve been witnessing the same pattern throughout the past 4 months. A marginal group of approximately 40 people carry the weight of the entire production and finance each of the Roadmap milestones, artificially keeping the game line alive, while thousands download the new items for free month after month without any substantial contribution. We do not think it’s fair to bank on the goodwill of a few extremely generous fans in order to feed a large community which doesn’t participate in the creation of new material.

IMPORTANT NOTES
All pending pre-orders will be delivered to the best of our ability - All donations made towards MASS GRAVE, CATHEDRAL CITY, or ENEMOI will be refunded immediately, and monthly donations canceled - Both DEGENESIS ART BOOKS will be released and shipped out as planned, with the expected shipping date set for December - www.degenesis.com will REMAIN ACTIVE and all materials will remain FREE TO DOWNLOAD. However, no new materials or updates will be added

CLOSING STATEMENTS
DEGENESIS has been a labor of love for the better part of a decade now, but it’s now time to move on. We tried our best to make it work, but sometimes that’s just not enough. Thank you to everyone who came along for the ride, and we hope to see you again someday.

Dimfrost

Special Circumstances
Intressant. Jag hade läst lite om det på UVG:s discord de senaste dagarna. Jag undrar hur allmänt tillämpbart slutsatserna är och hur mycket det handlar om en viss målgrupp. Exempelvis hävdar ju Bläckfiskarna att de säljer rätt bra med sina pdf:er (om jag inte missuppfattat @ceruleanfive ) som samtliga är PWYW, och jag vet att det finns folk som betalar för Mörk Borg-material på drivethru trots att det ligger gratis på hemsidan också. För upplägget är ju väldigt intressant: det är något väldigt sympatiskt med gratisversioner som kompletteras med valbara lyxversioner i tryck.

entomophobiac

Low Prep High Play
För upplägget är ju väldigt intressant: det är något väldigt sympatiskt med gratisversioner som kompletteras med valbara lyxversioner i tryck.
Jag tror Marko valde att släppa Degenesis gratis för att det tog mindre än en timme för illegala pdf:er att dyka upp i piratbukten och på liknande ställen. Bättre då att kunna ha lite mer överblick över de olagliga kopiorna. Men de var också ett par personer som jobbade heltid med Degenesis under en period, och jag tror det var den biten som gjorde det mycket svårare. Få rollspel säljer såna volymer som krävs för att ha heltidsanställda.

Men jag håller med. De gjorde ju också ett försök med en crowdfundad "Roadmap" där folk kunde månadsdonera. Det hänvisas till den i det jag saxade också, och att de väl kände att det blev konstigt att förvänta sig att 40 personer finansierar alltihop för alla gratiskonsumenter.

Men på sätt och vis kan jag känna att det ju är exakt vad F2P faktiskt är. :)

Dimfrost

Special Circumstances
En sak jag såg lyftas är att det kanske hade varit smartare att använda något i stil med Patreon i stället för en egen lösning.

entomophobiac

Low Prep High Play
En sak jag såg lyftas är att det kanske hade varit smartare att använda något i stil med Patreon i stället för en egen lösning.
Lite för lätt att säga vad de kunde gjort annorlunda, i efterhand och från utsidan. De använde ju en existerande butik som de redan har för att sälja annat, och behöver i gengäld inte betala några avgifter till exempelvis Patreon eller Kickstarter.

De var häftigt ambitiösa. Det funkade inte ekonomiskt. På sätt och vis är det ju hela historien. De kommer fortsätta sälja grejer så länge de har dem kvar i lager i alla fall.