Nekromanti Är du Legend/Runequest II-spelledare?

Necross

Swashbuckler
Är det någon där ute som leder Legend och/eller Runequest II, eller i alla fall har bra koll på detta/dessa spel? Jag tänkte börja spelleda nämnda spel och behöver nån att bolla idéer och dylikt med. Hör gärna av dig! Tack /N

Pete Nash

Veteran
Well, I tend to use RQ6 myself nowadays, but since I co-wrote and deigned those previous versions I should be able to offer some insight. :gremwink:

dawnrazor

Veteran
Jag håller på att skriva en kampanj för RQII, men vi har inte kommit igång med spelandet än. Har däremot spelat äldre versioner av RQ och Basic Role Playing.

Necross

Swashbuckler
Pete Nash said:
Well, I tend to use RQ6 myself nowadays, but since I co-wrote and deigned those previous versions I should be able to offer some insight. :gremwink:
Wow, and you are really in Boden?!

Pete Nash

Veteran
Yep! I'm up here at the edge of the northern wastes. Its a nice place if you like snow, are not an 18 year old doing military service, and its isolation is great for writing. :gremsmile:

So what can drdentista and myself do to help?

(Sorry, my Swedish is terrible so I have to communicate in English)

Necross

Swashbuckler
Well, the first thing I am thinking about is stats for "generic npcs". Is there such material published?

Pete Nash

Veteran
Well, we haven't published a book of generic NPCs as such. There are some in the back of RQ6 Monster Island, but they are intended as generic lizardmen or serpent folk.

What might help you out more is the RQ Encounter Generator which can produce pages of NPCs (and print them out) once you create a template for it. There are dozens of creatures and Gloranthan based humnas already available.

On the other hand, in most cases you'll never use the majority of skills and characteristics of a fully detailed NPC, so there's little point in spending hours generating them.

Instead you could use a trick many RQ GMs utilise, which is to do something like this - Fred the Barman, 70%. I.e. the barman does everything concerning being a barman at 70% skill and maybe some related skills at 20% less. This reduces the overhead of generating such NPCs to a single line, with your players being none the wiser.

Necross

Swashbuckler
Pete Nash said:
Instead you could use a trick many RQ GMs utilise, which is to do something like this - Fred the Barman, 70%. I.e. the barman does everything concerning being a barman at 70% skill and maybe some related skills at 20% less. This reduces the overhead of generating such NPCs to a single line, with your players being none the wiser.
This is the type of tricks I need! So, how does the stats for a typical city guard look like? And how would it differ from a "veteran city guard"?

Necross

Swashbuckler
Necross said:
Pete Nash said:
This is the type of tricks I need! So, how does the stats for a typical city guard look like? And how would it differ from a "veteran city guard"?
I now see that my question is kind of answered in the site you refered to. But I don´t quite get the rabble/novice/skilled/veteran/master-thing, is that described somewhere?

Pete Nash

Veteran
Necross said:
Personally I don't normally bother with Characteristics (STR, CON etc) for a throwaway generic NPC. I will give them Attributes however, if it looks like they might need to fight.

So for example. On Monday night, a new player decided to ambush a street beggar in the hopes of capturing him alive for some more nefarious purposes. Sadly, he decided to overlook the fact that the beggar had seen right through his feeble attempts to coerce him out of his blind alleyway and was suspicious. Instead the PC attempted a brute force approach, confident in his ability to beat up a near defenceless, one-armed man.

Caught somewhat unprepared for the mugging of an innocent beggar, I created one off the top of my head. Now in the campaign (Monster Island) almost everyone in the colony are hardened mercenaries, treasure hunters and merchants seeking to plunder the island's resources. Most die, but those that end up beggars are generally tough types, who have lost limbs to savage monsters or their minds to dangerous narcotics. I decided therefore that this particular beggar was:

One Armed Beggar 65% (ex-warrior: 85% Hard Bitten Beggar combat style), 3 AP, +1d2 DM, +14 SR, 5/7/6/4/5 HP, no armour.

2 seconds thought, bang, done. Notice that I gave him an increased secondary skill, to represent his previous profession. So during the initial negotiation the beggar used the Insight and Conceal skills at 65%, but once fighting broke out, he utilised his higher combat skill.

Unfortunately for the player character, despite being armed with a sword, the beggar managed to fend off the first attacks with his begging stick, before it was knocked from his hand. So, once disarmed, the beggar stepped in close, tripped the PC with a grapple, and then proceeded to throttle him into unconsciousness... :gremwink:

As for competence levels I use the following guidelines, which are printed in Monster Island. Sorry about the formatting, its a rough translation from a table.

Skill Value - Professional Competence - Military Equivalent - Description
1-30% - Novice - Cannon Fodder - Unqualified student still learning the basics
31-50% - Competent - Green - Can perform easy tasks if taking their time over it
51-70% - Proficient - Seasoned - Has reached an employable level of competence
71-90% - Expert - Veteran - Has spent years as a professional
91-110% - Master - Elite - Is considered one of the best the local community offers
> 110% - Paragon - Heroic - Renowned far and wide for their consummate skill

Necross

Swashbuckler
Thanks!

Another question. Where can I find rules for magical items?

Pete Nash

Veteran
Necross said:
Another question. Where can I find rules for magical items?
It depends. The best source for creating MRQ2 magical items can be found in the MRQ2 supplement "Arms and Equipment" starting on page 96 onwards. However, there were alternative guidelines presented in "Blood Magic" (or at least in the manuscript I submitted before it was butchered during editing) and yet more rules and examples in "Vikings", "Wraith Recon" and "SpellCom" for more genre/setting specific items.

I have no idea what is available for Legend since I have never seen any of those books despite them ostensibly using material Loz and myself wrote.

In RQ6 magic items are created in a number of different ways depending on the type of magic being used. However, there are no exhaustive lists of pre-generated magic items, although I included a list of potent S&S style artefacts in "Monster Island".

Hope that helps.

Necross

Swashbuckler
Ok, I´ll start out with checking "Arms & Equipment" then.

I have only the Legend core rules yet, and I don´t think magic items are even mentioned in it. A bit strange for a fantasy rpg isn´t it? Or it´s not usually a part of RQ at all?

I guess you can just graft some spell effect on an item, perhaps with a cost for using it, but if there are some good rules for it I thought I should check em out before making my own :gremsmile:

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
Necross said:
I have only the Legend core rules yet, and I don´t think magic items are even mentioned in it. A bit strange for a fantasy rpg isn´t it? Or it´s not usually a part of RQ at all?
Att magiska föremål är starkt begränsade är en gammal tradition som går tillbaks till RQs ursprung som ett Glorantha-spel.

Pete Nash

Veteran
Bolongo said:
Att magiska föremål är starkt begränsade är en gammal tradition som går tillbaks till RQs ursprung som ett Glorantha-spel.
It goes back to the original works of myth or Sword & Sorcery literature where the wits, passions and skill of a protagonist were far more important than the MacGuffin they wielded.

That is to say, in RuneQuest the strength of a hero is based upon who you are and what you know... not the magic items you possess.

Necross

Swashbuckler
Pete Nash said:
That is to say, in RuneQuest the strength of a hero is based upon who you are and what you know... not the magic items you possess.
Yeah, I actually like that, but SOME magical items I think should be there. I like em mystical and legendary, kind of like in Middle-Earth, not staple and boring, as they tend to be in most versions of D&D.

Leon

Leo carcion
Pete Nash said:
I have no idea what is available for Legend since I have never seen any of those books despite them ostensibly using material Loz and myself wrote.
Really? I was quite happy to pick up the black, softback Legend books. If I had known that they didn't properly involve you guys in your own IP I may not have been so quick. (and don't worry - I've got a copy of RQ6 as well, of course. BRP geek that I am)