Eon Damage in Eon (I,II&III) vs Eon IV

Yahuna

Veteran
Hi,

Since I don't know a word in Swedish, translating and reading a book of Eon is a considerable effort. I have done so with Eon IV core and Eon Strid books.

I have also translated Eon I, but I have not read it yet.

I want to know if the damage system has changed considerably or not. A quick look into Eon I seems that weapons + basic damage do a little less damage than in Eon IV when compared to how much armors protect in both editions, but I cannot asses this without reading the book and understanding how Eon I injury system works.

Can any of you comment on that? Has damage vs armor changed in between Eon editions?

Thx

Zeedox

Hero
Damage has changed, but is mostly the same but simpler. You gain utmattning/fatigue, which you need to roll against to keep fighting, and you might get efterverkningar/extra effects that might cause penalties, broken bones or death.

For damage against non-monsters:

1. Each attack makes damage of a specific type, usually cut, blunt or pierce, but could also be falling, fire, etc
2. Characters have a certain base armor, usually 2-4, depends on stats, that reduces all damage.
3. Characters might also wear armor, which reduces the incoming damage, different amounts depending on the type.
4. After getting damage, you check if it’s above or below 10. If it’s below 10, you just get fatigue, and roll agains the attribute Vitality to keep fighting.

If you get more than 10 damage, you roll on an advanced damage table depending on the damage type to see what happens, which can be loads of exciting things, usually with a gruesome description. Falling prone, a bunch fatigue points, Pain Points that gives you penalties to all actions, broken bones, Bleeding, Infection, and of course, Death rolls against Vitality.

Yahuna

Veteran
Damage has changed, but is mostly the same but simpler. You gain utmattning/fatigue, which you need to roll against to keep fighting, and you might get efterverkningar/extra effects that might cause penalties, broken bones or death.

For damage against non-monsters:

1. Each attack makes damage of a specific type, usually cut, blunt or pierce, but could also be falling, fire, etc
2. Characters have a certain base armor, usually 2-4, depends on stats, that reduces all damage.
3. Characters might also wear armor, which reduces the incoming damage, different amounts depending on the type.
4. After getting damage, you check if it’s above or below 10. If it’s below 10, you just get fatigue, and roll agains the attribute Vitality to keep fighting.

If you get more than 10 damage, you roll on an advanced damage table depending on the damage type to see what happens, which can be loads of exciting things, usually with a gruesome description. Falling prone, a bunch fatigue points, Pain Points that gives you penalties to all actions, broken bones, Bleeding, Infection, and of course, Death rolls against Vitality.
This is how damage works in Eon IV, is it the same for former editions? In any case, since I have Eon I already translated, I will give it a quick read. I had the impression that the Basic Damage in Eon I was lower than in Eon IV and therefore damage rolls achieve lower values than in Eon IV, but I can be mistaken.

Zeedox

Hero
This is how damage works in Eon IV, is it the same for former editions? In any case, since I have Eon I already translated, I will give it a quick read. I had the impression that the Basic Damage in Eon I was lower than in Eon IV and therefore damage rolls achieve lower values than in Eon IV, but I can be mistaken.
Yep, that's for Eon IV.

In EON I, taking damage is a bit more complicated, with damage being split into 4 types instead of just fatigue: Trauma, Pain, Fatigue, Bleeding, and character having different levels of damage that influence how much of a penalty they get on future actions.

Eon IV simplified it by making Fatigue the main damage value, with other damage effects coming as special cases more rarely. In my mind, this is both quicker around the table, without losing almost any excitement.

Last edited:

Yahuna

Veteran
Now I was checking that indeed, in Eon IV basic damage is Strength /2 +1T6, which can be as high as 3T6 or even 4T6, while in Eon I, basic damage is difficult that it gets above 2T6.

Given that weapons cause the same damage in both editions, one roll more damage dice in Eon IV (with higher chances of rolling 6s).

I will see how different damage was handled in Eon I, Eon IV is fairly simple, Eon I looks more complex

Svarte Faraonen

Oenofil oikofob
I believe that the primary reason base damage in Eon IV is higher is that Eon I-III didn't have an equivalent to grundrustning. Instead, the physique of the character determined the amount of damage columns into which one entered trauma, pain and blood loss, which meant that characters with high Strenght and Constitution could receive a larger amount of damage. In Eon IV, exhaustion accumulates the same for everyone; instead, the base armour value is subtracted from the initial damage. This means that characters need to deal slightly more damage in order for the maths to shake out the same.

Yahuna

Veteran
I believe that the primary reason base damage in Eon IV is higher is that Eon I-III didn't have an equivalent to grundrustning. Instead, the physique of the character determined the amount of damage columns into which one entered trauma, pain and blood loss, which meant that characters with high Strenght and Constitution could receive a larger amount of damage. In Eon IV, exhaustion accumulates the same for everyone; instead, the base armour value is subtracted from the initial damage. This means that characters need to deal slightly more damage in order for the maths to shake out the same.
Thx! I read quickly my translated Eon I core book and I arrived to that same conclusion.

All in all, I prefer how Eon IV deals with fatigue /damage than Eon I, although not a super fan of the “basic armour” thing. May be if they would have call it differently?

Wait! I can just rename it to anything else I want in my translated book, toughness, grit … 😂

Zeedox

Hero
Thx! I read quickly my translated Eon I core book and I arrived to that same conclusion.

All in all, I prefer how Eon IV deals with fatigue /damage than Eon I, although not a super fan of the “basic armour” thing. May be if they would have call it differently?

Wait! I can just rename it to anything else I want in my translated book, toughness, grit … 😂
I generally skip the base armor when making my own characters, to avoid a little bit of math, and because I think the advanced damage tables are cool, so I’d rather have an effect there more often. It’s not too bad so don’t worry about house ruling it!

Grit is a nice stat name, otherwise. But could perhaps also be a translation of the “Fokus” meta currency that you can use to gain extra dice?

You could just call it toughness.

Yahuna

Veteran
I generally skip the base armor when making my own characters, to avoid a little bit of math, and because I think the advanced damage tables are cool, so I’d rather have an effect there more often. It’s not too bad so don’t worry about house ruling it!

Grit is a nice stat name, otherwise. But could perhaps also be a translation of the “Fokus” meta currency that you can use to gain extra dice?
I will bring this particular comment on a new thread. It is related to some "concerns" I have and some discussion I brought up to my players