DoD Classic/Expert rules clarifications, questions etc.

runequester

Swordsman
I figured this could be handy to have a single thread for Q&A type stuff.

Something I've wondered about for years:

From my 1987 rulebook:

"Den här besvärjelsen skapar en blixt som slår ut från trollkarlen mot det mål som är närmast framför honom".

The problem is that I read this in two different ways depending on how you interpret "mål" (I'll use target below):

A: This strikes the closest character to the caster, regardless of friend or foe. (using target to mean "any eligible target")

B: This strikes the closest enemy to the caster (using target to mean "what the wizard considers a target").

As far as I can tell, this was never answered in Sinkadus unless I missed it somewhere.

How did you interpret it?

runequester

Swordsman
Question 2:

There are a few spells in Expert Magi that just point back to the rulebook. For example Försegla which Expert gives as Varaktighet Sx1 minutes and otherwise as per the basic rules.

Now, in Expert, the system was introduced for extending spell durations (each effektgrad increases the duration by the base amount) but the basic rules for this spell already has a duration function built in
Varje extra grad lägger antingen 15 minuter til varaktigheten...

We always house ruled those to use the Expert duration system, but I am curious how people did it.

(and yes, jogging people's foggy memory a little here :) )

Gurgeh

The Player of Games
Staff member
Expert-reglerna säger att varaktigheten Sx1 minuter motsvarar 15 minuter i grundreglerna. Så det är rimligt att anta att ytterligare effektgrader ger ytterligare Sx1 minuters varaktighet och inte 15 minuter.

(Men jag kan inte påminna mig att vi någonsin använde den regeln.)

Dimfrost

Special Circumstances
Expert-reglerna säger att varaktigheten Sx1 minuter motsvarar 15 minuter i grundreglerna. Så det är rimligt att anta att ytterligare effektgrader ger ytterligare Sx1 minuters varaktighet och inte 15 minuter.

Bra att veta att den regeln kom i Expert, dock. Jag minns att jag har letat efter den i 84-85-87:ornas grundböcker. :D

Mekanurg

You can add up the parts; you won’t have the sum
I figured this could be handy to have a single thread for Q&A type stuff.

Something I've wondered about for years:

From my 1987 rulebook:

"Den här besvärjelsen skapar en blixt som slår ut från trollkarlen mot det mål som är närmast framför honom".

The problem is that I read this in two different ways depending on how you interpret "mål" (I'll use target below):

A: This strikes the closest character to the caster, regardless of friend or foe. (using target to mean "any eligible target")

B: This strikes the closest enemy to the caster (using target to mean "what the wizard considers a target").

As far as I can tell, this was never answered in Sinkadus unless I missed it somewhere.

How did you interpret it?
The correct answer is B.

runequester

Swordsman
Thank you to both of you :)

Good catch! With that, the answer does appear pretty obvious.

runequester

Swordsman
Next question:

Weapon length and initiative.

Expert says:
"Om två personer går in i närstrid med vapnen redo så avgörs deras inbördes turordning i den första SR av vapenlängden"

Okay cool. If I have a weapon length of 1 and you have a 2 you go first.

The problem here is that I can't figure out how it was meant to interact with the initiative roll.

Lets say that Sven Daggerman rolls a 14 for initiative and Karsten Spearman rolls a 9. Sven goes first and wants to move and attack Karsten, but Karsten has to strike first according to weapon length.

(This gets even more convoluted when you consider a combat with several characters, not just two).

Is there a mistake here or am I missing a really obvious answer? If neither, how did / do you reconcile it? I've usually left out length in my games, but I'd like not to.

Leon

Leo carcion
Som jag förstår det trumfar vapenlängden initativslaget enbart i första stridsrunddan

runequester

Swordsman
Thanks, what I'm grappling with is exactly how that plays out.

Characters A (sword) and C (bow) are fighting B (spear). Its SR 1.

Character A rolls a 14 for initiative.
Character B rolls a 12.
Character C rolls a 13.

A goes first and wants to move to melee with B (Slåss i närstrid). B has the longer weapon.

It seems the most workable is that A moves to melee (on initiative 14). Then B takes their attack (moving up in the sequence basically), then A takes their attack. Finally C makes their attack on their own initiative roll.

Does that seem to make sense? The problem happens if B wants to do something else as well (such as moving before melee) since they rolled slower than C.

runequester

Swordsman
Can a character taking any action other than "Slåss i närstrid" parry?

We always assumed no, but I don't suppose there's anything that really specifically says.